Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Amazing Chair Redo...

We recently moved and a family member gave us some extra furniture to take up space in the playroom/family room of our new space. Over the holidays we needed additional seating and carried this little lovely upstairs...
Now to be fair, it wasn't in this bad of shape when we were given the chair. What happens in the playroom can be scary and its an enter at your own risk type of place. This chair didn't stand a chance. However, once it was upstairs we realized it was quite comfortable and add a nice conversation area in the corner of the living room. So, with the idea of not much more harm could come to this chair, I jumped right in and here is the journey...
 I found the process of taking apart the chair helpful when I started to recover. It was actually way more simple than I thought it would be...
 And the chair looked even scarier with all of its clothes off...
 My biggest fear was actually covering the large back, because there were very few areas in the back that I could actually staple the fabric to secure...
 However, the hardest part was the arms, because I really hadn't planned that part out very well, and didn't plan on sewing the cover....
 Here is the finished chair from the side...
From the back...

And finally from the front...It was a long 3 days, along with two monsters fighting strep throat and the stomache flu at the same time. However, its the perfect reading chair and is so much fresher looking. I still need to run the steamer over the fabric to get a few wrinkled areas out! The best part of the whole transformation was that is cost just over $30...its drop cloth fabric from Lowe's and decorative nail tacks from JoAnn's.

Tell me what you thinking and what might have made it better!

I also linked to my first linky parties be sure to check them out!


BTW, how do you get the button to pop up?

11 comments:

  1. I am so impressed! That was a tough project to tackle and you did it to perfection!

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chair looks great! And I love the "Relax" pillow sitting on it :)

    Visiting from POWW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! you really gave this chair a whole new life! it was headed for the dump i fear. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a great job - looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fantastic! i need to get on the ball with one of these too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressive! You've completely transformed that chair!! Way to jump in and go for it!! I appreciate you linking up at WWC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is some brave job to tackle! I think it turned out awesome! I need to try one myself but you know... I'm scared to wreck the chair further! :)

    Donna
    http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, love the drop cloth (I'm obsessed!) You're braver than I am- I'm way too scared to reupholster anything that doesn't have a removal cushion lol. http://www.lovelycraftyhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous! This really is an amazing transformation! Great job and thanks so much for stopping by and being part of our chair party!
    Bon @ Drab to Fab
    www.gorgfabgoodies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stick with the easy make overs! I am so in awe of you doing this! I can not believe how nice it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since you asked...
    I might have stapled instead of tacked, and then covered the staples with a trim. Of course, that would've increased the price.
    I love your bravery. I've bookmarked this site so when I get brave enough (hopefully someday), I will reference your blog. Great job. Thanks for the inspiration!!!
    Fondly, Tami

    ReplyDelete